I’ve shared this quote before but it came back to me tonight:
While this is great advice for students and workers, it’s also excellent advice for Christians. Have you ever said or thought statements such as:
- I’ll get more involved in the church once my children are older / my schedule is lighter / my faith is stronger / my car is fixed.
- I’ll read my Bible more after I finish this stressful project.
- I’ll share my faith with my friend / coworker / neighbour when I’ve had more time to get to know them better.
- I’ll drop that habit / sin / wrong attitude when my health gets better / my spouse treats me better / I have more money.
- I’ll give more of my money to God’s work once my debts are paid off / I get a raise / I win the lottery.
Those “whens” and “onces” never seem to come. If they do, the promises are often forgotten. So, what are you waiting for? The time is now! Romans 13:11 says:
“And do this, understanding the present time: The hour has already come for you to wake up from your slumber, because our salvation is nearer now than when we first believed.”
What is God asking you to do today? Are you reluctant? Are you tempted to start later? I encourage you not to hesitate.