At the start of the new year, I had good intentions about updating my blog on a weekly basis. Alas, an entire month has passed since my last post so I will try to do some catching up with this one. First a few news briefs from my life:
- I started a six-week calligraphy course at the beginning of January and have my last class this coming Monday. It’s been challenging but fun, too! We’ve been learning copperplate calligraphy with a pointed pen and covered capital letters last week. For the last class, our teacher (Joy Deneen of imaginejoy calligraphy) is going to show us how to add variations and our own style to the basics we’ve been practicing. I will share photos of my progress in my next update.
- On February 9, I was interviewed by Lynne Ford on WBCL in Ft Wayne, Indiana, about my new book, Truth, Dare, Double Dare. If you’d like to hear our nine-minute chat, click here and fast-forward to the 24:00 minute mark.
- Here’s my latest column at Choose NOW Ministries: Stop Chasing Two Rabbits.
On January 31, I was nominated for the Liebster Award by Ren of RensRedeemed.
What is the Liebster Award, you ask? Good question! I wondered the same thing. For those who want details, this blogger did extensive research, saving me the work. In a nutshell, however, it’s an Internet award designed to welcome new bloggers, which is quite neighbourly and friendly! My blog isn’t really new but I appreciate Ren picking it as one of her nominees, especially as “liebster” has the connotation of something dear or sweet. Since there are variations on the “rules” of accepting this award, I’m not going to worry too much about following them strictly (i.e. I’m going to do the unthinkable and break the chain!)
However, I do want to take up Ren’s challenge to first answer 11 questions and then share 11 random things about me. So, here goes…
- When did you come to faith in Christ?
- When I was 7 years old. (My full faith story is here.)
- What is your favorite Bible verse/passage and why?
- I have many but, some months ago, the Lord pressed this on my heart as my life/ministry/career goal: “I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the good news of God’s grace.” (Acts 20:24)
- What woman figure from the Bible do you most identify with and/or admire?
- I was telling a friend just this afternoon that in recent years I have identified with Esther. I feel that God has given me opportunities and resources that I can use for His glory. Sometimes I’m not sure how to do it but I simply need to be brave and wise like Esther.
- Marriage/single life: What’s the biggest blessing and biggest challenge you face in your relationship status?
- As a never-married, I’ve certainly had my share of questions, lonely moments and self-doubts. However, God has really helped me to experience contentment and joy throughout my singleness, so I tend to not focus on the challenges.
- Mothering/mentoring: What is the most rewarding thing about being either a mother or a mentor?
- I’m not a mother but I have been a mentor on many occasions (in fact, I wrapped up a 12-session program with a young woman today). The most rewarding thing is seeing the joy and relief on the faces of my mentees when they recognize their own progress.
- What is your favorite thing about your faith community?
- I still worship at the church I started attending when I was a newborn so it is like my second home and the members are like family to me, even though the nature of our inner-city ministry is such that I have seen countless turn-overs in our congregation. My favourite thing about our ministry is the heavy emphasis on and dogged commitment to evangelism and missions. We are a small group in a 105-year-old building without fancy equipment or a worship team but our members support and get involved in outreach and the greater portion of our church budget is earmarked for missions and evangelism (we have no paid staff, including the pastor, my Dad).
- What’s on your reading list right now?
- I’m in the middle of four books: Love Does (Bob Goff), The Idiot (Dostoevsky), Fortress of Mist (Sigmund Brouwer) and Orthodoxy (Chesterton). Also on my reading list: Einstein A to Z, a few Madeleine l’Engle books, the sequel to Fortress of Mist, The Artisan Soul and about 50 other books!
- What is you favorite TV show this season?
- I generally don’t watch TV unless I am in a hotel room, but I do sometimes catch up on older TV shows on Netflix. My current indulgence is Gilmore Girls.
- Where is your favorite place to go, apart from home?
- Other than church? 🙂 Boy, this question really highlights how much of an introvert and homebody I am. I don’t have too many “favourite” places but when the weather is nice, I love to be out in nature, walking through a park or sitting under a tree. I guess I need to get out more!
- What is one thing on your “Bucket List” (list of things you’d like to experience before you “kick the bucket”)?
- For years I’ve wanted to go to England to see the homes of Jane Austen, C.S. Lewis and Beatrix Potter. That’s pretty high on my list.
- Which of your blog posts is the one nearest and dearest to your heart?
So now I’m supposed to share 11 random things about myself. Voila!
- I studied Chemical Technology in college but finally admitted, in my third year, that I was in the wrong field.
- I have had my driver’s license for almost 23 years but I’ve only driven three or four times, and never alone.
- I skipped second grade.
- I’ve never ridden a horse.
- I am the proud owner of the three-volume boxed set of The Complete Calvin and Hobbes, thanks to the generosity of a friend.
- I have not watched any of the Star Wars movies.
- I am terrified of water that’s deeper than chin level.
- My favourite colour is red (and my favourite desk accessory is my red Swingline stapler).
- My favourite desserts are key lime pie, Nanaimo bars and apple crisp.
- I don’t drink coffee. Ever.
- I have a weakness for red hair and freckles. On anyone!
So there’s me! 🙂 I won’t be nominating anyone for the Liebster Award (sorry) but if you’re interested in writing a similar post on your own blog, let me know and I’ll happily supply 11 questions for you. I’ll try to write again soon but I’m not making any promises! In the meantime, don’t forget that you can “like” my Facebook page for daily inspirational posts.