It never fails. As soon as I posted my “5 Things I’m Loving Right Now” entry, I remembered something I should have mentioned. Rather than edit my post, however, I decided to simply create a second post with some more fun stuff. Enjoy!
1. Elena Shumilova’s photography: This is starting to make its rounds on Facebook. Elena is an amateur photographer but the images she has captured of her two sons and their various pets are the stuff of fairy tales and magical fantasies. The lighting is soft, the detail is exquisite, the facial expressions are heartwarming and the overall effect is almost other-worldly.
Click on the thumbnail image at left (my favourite) to go to the page featuring her collection.
2. Creamy Braised Leeks: In the past few years, I’ve really developed a love for cooking, especially when I can try new recipes with new (or new to me) ingredients or even ingredients that I used to dislike but am now willing to revisit. My parents are my guinea pigs, which they usually appreciate but sometimes simply tolerate! My latest hit has been creamy braised leeks (they almost melt in your mouth) with chicken. Click on the image for the recipe I’ve been using.
As always, I would add a personal note that you don’t need the thyme (unless you really like thyme). The great thing about cooking, as opposed to baking, is that you don’t have to be precise when following the recipe and can adjust the ingredients according to taste.
3. Indoor gardening: I find that the long Canadian winter is less depressing when I have lovely plants and flowers thriving on my window ledge. The other day, my azalea plant started to bloom (a little late — it usually does so in December and then again about six months later). Here’s a sneak peek:
I also have pink African violets in full bloom right now as well as deep red anthurium.
4. Calico Critters: This came to me while I was working on this post! A friend told me that her young daughters enjoy playing with Calico Critters and I’d never heard of them so I looked them up.
Oh why, oh why, could they not have had these when I was little? In a world drowning in toys that are questionable in terms of age-appropriateness and the messages they convey, these little sweeties are refreshingly adorable, wholesome and perfect for creative play. You know, if someone accidentally dropped off a set at my house, I wouldn’t be upset or anything. 😉
5. Washi tape: Hello, my name is Ann-Margret Hovsepian and I’m addicted to decorative tapes. Don’t believe me? I currently have 43 rolls. Still don’t believe me? Here’s proof…
In my defense, Peachy Cheap often sells them in bunches for a really good price (which is why I have a few I’m not in love with) and, well, I, um, you know, like… can’t resist. Haha! And I do use them, so at least I’m not wasting money, right? Anyway, one of my goals for 2014 is to use up my stash of arts and crafts and sewing supplies so I won’t be buying any more of these for a while. It would be very helpful if Peachy Cheap didn’t offer any for a while, too! 😉
Alright, time to get ready for church tomorrow morning. Have a good night and a blessed Sunday!