I’ve done a fair bit of travelling in the past several years so, with preparations for Armenia now underway, too, I’ve got trip tips on my mind. Here are five things you might not immediately think to do if you don’t have a lot of experience travelling overseas. (I certainly didn’t!)
- Make two photocopies of your passport identification page and leave a copy with a trusted friend or relative who is not travelling with you. Keep the other copy with you when you travel and leave it in a safe place separate from your passport.
- Notify your bank and credit card company about your travel dates and destinations so that they won’t put a stop on your account if they see purchases from a foreign country.
- Register with the ministry of foreign affairs of your country of origin so that they will know about your travels in case of an emergency.
- Depending on the airline, if you have to check extra baggage (i.e. over the normal allowance), declaring and paying for it ahead of time may save you money.
- Keep a copy of the information that’s on your luggage tags (name, address, etc.) INSIDE your suitcases in case the tags get ripped off. This will allow airport personnel to know the bags belong to you.
If you have your own great tips, please leave them in the comments! 😀